Toro to Zamora - Solo terminado


Sound the trumpet, beat the drum. The Camino Levante is shuffled and done - btw -  Zamora’s tribute to surviving Beatles has Ringo on drum and Paul on trumpet (his first instrument, trivia buffs).
What a special day. After 27 walking days on the Levante, I am here in Zamora - and there are NINE other pilgrims in the albergue - NINE!!! I have only seen three in the last month. 
Sister had my breakfast table set this morning. She was so lovely making sure everything was right and sending me on my way. 
As I was about to descend to the river, temptation struck- was it really there? ‘Mike, you can drive me to Zamora.’ I blinked and my Alfa was gone.
I crossed the bridge.
I walked riverside for a while. It was smooth and peaceful.
I switched to the road midmorning. The route was more direct, traffic was minimal and the surface made walking faster. It was a no brainer.

I decided on a substantial lunch stop at Villalazan. Like the last two days, bar staff were so welcoming.
Back on the path I came across a medieval Spanish village named after Australia’s Prime Minister - weird!

I stopped there for a water top up before the last hour or so to Zamora. Believe me, Zamora takes more than an hour to conquer.
Canal side meandering brought me in through the bleak end of town.
Then the Duero River Valley opened to me again.
But I was not crossing this bridge. I had my heart set on the Roman one down the river. Guess what? It was closed - first time in 1800 years, Just my luck!
So with my pack straps across my shoulders, I backtracked and crossed the ‘modern bridge’.
Although it did afford a splendid view of that other bridge.  I was greeted at the albergue by Martin, a volunteer from the Netherlands. Felt so good to start reconnecting . . . with that side of the Camino.

After the usual stuff I headed for the Plaza Mayor.
Zamora has a weekend festival. There is music and dance everywhere.
Drinks and dinner were wonderful. I felt totally immersed. Young people at a nearby table talked to me about the Camino.  

And the band played on. But now it is time to sleep 

 Breakfast will be here at 7am tomorrow.


Comments

  1. Well done on making it to this huge milestone Dad! Incredible stuff. And how about that Alfa showing up at just that time. Spooky and awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting here, 27 days solo and now here you are! Hilarious about the Alfa! Bummer about the Roman bridge but what a view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ll be longing for a little solo Camino soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain