O’Logoso to Finisterre - De costa a costa completado


Body and soul - we have made it to the Atlantic. Seven weeks ago I walked off the beach at Valencia with hopes of walking ‘coast to coast’ and practically no Spanish. Today my hopes have been fulfilled - y tengo un poco de español. 
Thankfully, Spanish people are kind to foreigners like me. That will be a lasting and treasured memory. As a solo peregrino, I needed to communicate and be with the locals. That was challenging and made this journey so fulfilling.

Everyone was up early this morning and the classic breakfast of coffee and tortilla went down so well.

Pre-drawn darkness and misty rain added to the excitement - around 31kms. Funny - by now it is more about time than distance.  How long will it take?
Not long after - the road forked - right to Muxia, left  to Finisterre.
I turned left, and passed a welcoming donativo stall. How generous! 
The spiritual is always there - somewhere.
There are stone walls all around Galicia and other provinces. I wonder who built them and why does no-one care for them anymore?
The morning floated by, I descended to the coast and the peaceful harbour at Cee. I was back by the sea.

I turned north towards Finisterre and took the traditional path rather than the road.  I was reassured by the sign.

The path intersected with the highway occasionally.

It was a delightful way to finish my walk.
When I reached the beach, I found some pieces of wood and constructed a photo stand. I lined up the shot and set the timer and hoped for the best.

My feet were so happy and so was I.  I passed my hostel on the way to the Lighthouse. 
The last few kilometres went by so quickly. My thoughts swirled across weeks as I peered through the misty rain and cloud. 
I could not see much beach or ocean or cliff face on the way to Cape Finisterre - it did not matter. I knew when I arrived. I asked a passer-by to take my photo. Gracias!

I made it! 

Thank you everyone for being so generous in your support and concern and interest in my walk. 

It has been the walk of a lifetime for me - Almost totally solo but connected with you and with the local people and with pilgrims and Camino friends from time to time. 

It will take me some time to understand how this has all happened and what it means and what I can carry forward. 

Thank you so much
Mike

Comments

  1. Inspirational Mike. C&S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - lots of stories to share when I get back

      Delete
  2. Hi Mike!! The photos are wonderful!! All looks amazing. Hope you’re ok over there? Cold here waters 16? If that. You must be heading home soon? Love Is xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Is, I made it to the beach today for a swim And the water is cooler here, I think. Heading back next week

      Delete
  3. smiling that you made it, such a big accomplishment. bien hecho. gX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias- Todavía estoy sonriendo.😀

      Delete
  4. Wooooohoooooo! 👏🏻👏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coast to coast on the road less travelled. And still they lead me back…time to plan the next one. DC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone- ‘to the long and winding road’ indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain

San Clemente to Las Pedroneras - Staying cool through kindness