San Clemente to Las Pedroneras - Staying cool through kindness

Kindness helped me stay cool. The milder temperature and gentle tail winds helped but it is kind people who help one another in need. I felt that kindness today. 

No one about when Sancho and I needed breakfast.


So I ‘stopped into a church I passed along the Way.’

The devotion to Mary is something very special amongst Spaniards. There were mostly older people there preparing for mass.


Breakfast was not happening any time soon, so we headed out to the plains once more. Can you spot the yellow arrow?

I missed it but got back on track soon, to be  surrounded by poppies, garlic and wheat fields.

The Las Pedroneras region is known for purple garlic.

I walked in fields of gold.

I stopped for breakfast.

Some one even left me an old Coke bottle- The Gods Must Be Crazy- most quixotic. I left it behind.

Over the next rise -  the medieval castle of Santiago de la Torre strategically placed to regulate trade and travel 

Sandy paths were soft and I made an imprint.

Sancho left me for someone else as we arrived in Las Pedroneras.

Everything was fine - I stopped by a supermarket and got lunch and supplies. 

What could possibly go wrong from here? Well, the Townhall and the police were hard to contact on a Saturday. The local convent did not answer when I rang the bell.  So I went in search of the hostel El Bomba. On the first attempt I wound up here.
Problem was it looked like this! Arrived? Rate my route? You must be joking!
Okay what do I do now? I’ll try the police. On the way, I asked for help from a woman cleaning her house. She and her husband came down and we re-entered the address for the hostel. Success - it was on the other side of town (? Don't ask)

When I got there it was closed - obviously.

I walked next door to the petrol station and asked the attendant for help. He rang the managers and got instructions on how to get in.
After some hours of touring, I checked in and got cleaned up. 
It is a beautiful place- Raul the manager came by later - and could not be more helpful. I enjoyed dinner of salad and pizza only a few doors away.

Thank you for your comments overnight- I walked out this morning feeling your support.

All in all the kindness of people made my Camino day.

Comments

  1. Did you pass the giant ceramic wine vats with a flecha painted on them? Glad you found the digs. More from San Don later. Rest up. 🥱😴💤

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Don says: 'The road is always better than the inn.' However, 'all sorrows are less with bread.' Thankfully, you found the inn and some bread. Eat, sleep, walk; and may the Don be with you. Buen Camino amigo, Neils

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you didn’t “pretend to pray”, let Sanchez do that.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike you have the system sorted. Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Browsing through pictures with George and he said you need to be careful of combine harvesters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. George, thank you- I am always very careful around combine harvesters 😉

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain