Wexford, Ireland - Flying family visit

Most of my ancestors came from Ireland (and some from . . . England 🤫), plus I have family there so I decided to drop over for a few days. 

Shortly after taking off from Santiago de Compostela, we crossed the Galician coast - next landfall - Ireland just near Waterford.


A beautiful patchwork of farmland fields spread across the horizon.

Arrival at Dublin Airport required some reorientation - the locals speak English (sort of) and keep to the left (most of the time)

I took the bus south along the coast to Wexford, convinced it was driven by somebody I used to know . . . Thanks Tim ☺️

My brother met me. We drove to his place to be greeted by my sister in law. It was lovely to arrive and settle in. I slept like a log!

Next morning I was up for some sightseeing. There are centuries of history here in Wexford. Some ruins . . 

And some living history - Hook Lighthouse, built by the Normans in the 12th century and still burning bright.

With an almost functional ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) for surf rescues. 

Thankfully it stayed in the shed.  The weather was extraordinarily warm- possibly the longest ‘heatwave’ ever in Ireland nearing two weeks of temperatures in the high 20s.


The region and nearby towns of New Ross and Wexford have constant reminders of times past - Tintern Abbey where rebels were executed in the uprising of 1798.

And the port at New Ross with a replica of the ship used to transport starving emigrants to a better life during the Great Famine in the late 1840s

Close by is the eternal flame for all emigrants, who departed from here; including the grandfather of JFK. The flame itself was lit by the former President’s sister who was the Ambassador to Ireland at the time, and his daughter’Sweet Caroline’ ba ba bah! 🎵

Good times never seemed so good.

Days spent with family you don’t see all that often are especially important. Time passed quickly and I needed to catch my flight back to Spain.

Farewell to Erin’s Isle once again.





Comments

  1. Wonderful trip once again Mike, well done. Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mollymook to Barcelona - Half the world away

Scenes from an albergue

Salceda to Santiago de Compostela- Arrived!