After three days of walking with cooler mornings that developed too quickly into blazing hot siesta afternoons, I made it to the Cape Finisterre Lighthouse.
Leaving Santiago via the medieval moat and the oldest surviving gate to the city
I was soon following arrows once again.
Into the green shaded lanes up and away from the city.
Crossing the occasional 12th century bridge,
I stopped for lunch in Negeira and had by a mostly shaded climb
to the wonderfully welcoming Albergue at A Pena run by friends Manuel and Maria
I played some music before dinner
Nothing as refreshing as a cold beer after a long walk. Then enjoyed a delicious communal meal, and played some more.
Despite my intention to depart with the sunrise
I was almost the last to leave - hard to say goodbye I suppose
The next day was difficult, hot with not much shade. I took far less photos due to the fact my phone melted.
Finally, after a 30 km shuffle carrying lots of water, I enjoyed an even more welcome beer at O Logoso.
Next morning I did manage an earlier getaway- as high 30 degree temperatures were forecast.
I had walked this way before- still with ‘feet that feel just like lead’ and the occasional dicky knee, this was not Bossanova time. I had big shoes to fill.
A short time later I came across a werewolf, the legendary Vakner.
As you can see, he had no Chinese menu in his hand - but his hair was perfect.
Not long after, the descent to the coast commenced
By the time I reached San Roque, I had the Atlantic in sight.
Following the old shaded path through the forest helped me cope with the heat
And there it was - Cape Finisterre around 12 km into the distance.
Could not resist it. When I reached the beach before Finisterre I took the plunge- in jocks. It felt wonderful!
Reclothed and mostly dry and feeling much cooler,
I walked on to the Cape
I took a moment and sang ‘What a wonderful world’ sitting on the cliff and watching the ocean
Time for a beer at the bar at the end of the earth
I arrived and felt good, in spite of the ridiculous weather
Finisterre is a magical place. I am looking forward to chilling here for a few days - in every way.
Epic Dad! That ocean would have been impossible to resist! Congrats again for making it to the end of the earth! Tess xo
ReplyDeleteThanks darling
DeleteI have enjoyed following your travels Mike. It would have been very challenging in that extreme heat. Glad you got to have a dip in the ocean to cool down. Thought it may have also been due to withdrawal symptoms 😂🏊♀️
ReplyDeleteYes it was, partly- it’s wonderful being able to swim 😄
DeleteMike! Where are you now? Is x
ReplyDelete