Puente Ulla to Santiago - Arrived! Really?


My boots arrived with signs of wear and tear - and I am here too. Hard to believe, especially after wearing this stylish outfit every walking day for six weeks!
The morning began in the dark,
with misty rain sprinkling through the beam of my headlight.
The path was even and clear, and I made solid progress through to the dawn.
I felt as though I was floating above the path. I was walking more quickly than I had at any time on this Camino.
Within a few hours, I reached the outskirts of Santiago. The path remains green and rural and historic to within only 3 kms from the Cathedral. I dropped by the chapel on the right.
I lit a candle and thought of family and friends, especially those who are doing it tough at the moment.
Then it was across the bridge and up the hill.
The overpass at the crest of the hill has symbols from pilgrims who have walked this Way.
Shortly after (I knew it was coming) was my first glimpse of the Cathedral spires. I was overcome. I was by myself. I was grateful. I was here.
I gathered myself together and carried on down the hill and through the streets towards the Plaza do Obradoiro. 
I sat for a while and watched the crowds, the tourists, and pilgrims like me come and go. I made my way to the Pilgrim Office to get certified (definitely after this walk).
So few people do the Camino Levante that it did not come up on the computer register. The Chief Compostela person was called over. ‘You started in Valencia?? My goodness that is a long walk.’ Together he and the helpful volunteer behind the counter entered my details and checked my credencial. Then out came the certificate.

It says I did the Via de La Plata, but that was only the last 300kms - the rest was all Camino Levante. 

My solo walk of a life time.

Buen Camino, everyone.

Comments

  1. Awesome job Fizzy. Well done. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - now I can get up to some mischief

      Delete
  2. Must’ve felt pretty special being one of the rare ones to walk that route! Great going once again, Dad x Solo walk of a lifetime for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Mike … memories to last a lifetime 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Mike, how good are those shoes! Sponsorship maybe. C&S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Mike! The Camino is better for you having walked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remarkable effort Mike. Look forward to catching up on how you celebrated your arrival. Dave

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain

San Clemente to Las Pedroneras - Staying cool through kindness