Tembleque to Mora - Watching the skies


Walking and weather go together. I need to watch the skies - timing and temperature changes matter. In fact, everywhere I go, I always take the weather with me - in this (un)Crowded House that is the Camino Levante. That is why I got an early start this morning.
I was ready to walk today. I got a new pair of sunglasses and some Voltaren yesterday.
Timing was great. There was a market outside my apartment window all morning and I stocked up on fruit and nuts, and bread and water - usual stuff.
Temperatures are in the low 30s by midday so an early start is important.And I walked and I walked . . . as the sun was ‘racing around to come up behind me again’.

The sun was the same in a relative way but I am older and shorter of breath - that’s for sure. That is why I stopped at this field of herbs.
Or was it that I had too much Thyme on my hand?
Sometimes the path was overgrown. 
Yes, that’s it! Not the gravel - the grassy bushy stuff! Sometimes the path disappeared all together - like into this Olive Grove.
Ok, where am I? I’ll check the eye in the sky
Watching from the skies is invaluable- it would be more difficult using a compass (what’s a compass?). I eventually found my way out and up the hill, and appreciated the climb and the view back over the plains of Castille y La Mancha.

By early afternoon I had arrived in Mora. I stopped by a bakery, and the husband and wife team were so welcoming and interested in my journey.

As I was about to leave, the lady pulled a pasta dinner and a lunch from the display cabinet and said ‘have this Mike’ I asked ‘La cuenta, por favor?’ They simply replied ‘Buen Camino’. Kindness is alive and well.

I have checked into a hostel/hotel (whatever) for two nights. Tomorrow is forecast to be hot (36)and the stage is long (40kms) and there is little reliable accommodation along the way.

I will walk to Toledo on Saturday when the temperature drops back to mid 20s.

I keep having these conversations with myself ‘That’s much more sensible Mike!’ Really? Why? …. 

Everywhere I go, the weather comes with me. I need to keep being a Watcher of  the Skies
 
Thought I had something more to say. . .

[Themes inspired by Neil Finn, Roger Waters, and Peter Gabriel - with a little bit of Alan Parsons]

Comments

  1. Hola Miguel, I think I stayed in that same place in Mora. Good to go carefully with the heat. You're an inspired man! 'A crazy man!' The Don would be proud of you, besides, 'when life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?' Let's face it, 'In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd.' Oh, and just in case you were wondering, 'there is no dark side of the moon. Matter of fact, it's all dark.' Buen Camino, Neils


    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Such a nice touch from the couple in the bakery. The actions of good people heal the soul (and soles).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy Mike, your Camino is challenging and hot. We’re in Castromaior and it’s cool and might just sprinkle.
    We’re enjoying your blog but feel for you as solitude is not your preference. Buen Camino

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain