Siete Iglesias to Toro - Walking Riverside


The Duero river is iconic, flowing from north of the Meseta in north central Spain to the Atlantic at Porto in Portugal. We met again today, most of the time by my walking in its beautiful fertile valley - although I spent the first couple of hours getting there.

The morning walk to Castronuno was wonderfully peaceful, undulating and scenic.

A smiley face greeted me as I entered the town.
The left eye is Santiago Cathedral. The right eye is Valencia Cathedral -  and the nose is - well, you guessed it - right here. I felt good about the connection.

Recent rain led to occasional off track meandering - I did not fall in, just muddy boots once in while.
Lunch was at a welcoming bar at Villafranca del Duero. I had arrived at the river.
Locals seem so relaxed. They wave, they talk.
Irrigation is sophisticated and reliable.
I was told that this weekend cottage is fully booked.
I came closer to the river.
The path was shady and cool.
I approached the hilltop town via the renovated medieval bridge - Well done local authorities for blending the old with the new - whatever you do, Mike, do not drop your phone.
I had a choice- do I go the long way round? Or straight up the hill?

The direct path was steeper and shorter. I gave it a go..
It was worth the climb.
I found my way to the tourist office, and was booked in to a renovated convent.
I was given a warm welcome and a guided tour.
Toro is famous these days for its wine industry. I sampled some tapas and other some local produce for dinner.

There is more walking riverside tomorrow. I head to Zamora the last stage of the Camino Levante before it merges with the Via de La Plata. Who knows? Tomorrow might be my last day as a ‘solo peregrino’.


 Let’s wait and see.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain