Medina del Campo to Siete Iglesias - Freewheeling


Sometimes, days fall into place. You can relax your eyes and your legs, you walk, and you do not even feel like stopping - unless there is a traffic light of course. This is freewheeling, something to treasure.
Medina del Campo is where the Camino Levante (de Valencia) and the Camino Sureste (de Alicante) finally separate. I had been sharing the path with Camino friends to that point. I was now alone again, naturally.
Once more I was heading west. The rising sun in the cloudy sky cast my faint shadow.
I followed the railway line for a few hours, 
I passed vineyards,
and I watched the open sky.

‘Quick Mike, there is a high velocity train coming.’

Almost missed it - they move so fast.  What a contrast! The train is ultra quick and the peregrino (ie. me) walks at pace that we humans have done for millennia. I waved. I wondered if anyone on the train saw me.
I continued through fields, rural and timeless.
After lunch at a wonderful bar in Nava Del Rey where the manager Marta and her friends made me feel so welcome, I passed an early childhood school where parents were gathering to pick up their children - a familiar scene.

The final couple of walking hours cruised by. I felt good - the best I have been at this time of the day since Valencia.

You must be tiring of these shots of Long and Winding Roads. I promise that I will Let It Be as soon as I can. 

Soon after ‘I went down to the crossroads’ and took a turn to the left . .  . but almost missed it (camouflage signing again).
Now - complaint-  this arrow is pointing to heaven - fair enough. But it should be pointing to 9 o’clock. Hard to get good volunteer help these days.
On the other hand, on the approach to town, there was a helpful sign. I am on my way to Zamora, and after that to Santiago. The other path heads north towards the Camino Frances. We all end up in Santiago eventually.
Once I arrived, I headed straight to the bar. It was open. The church was closed. Nothing unusual there.[Clarification: Bars in Spain are different to those in Australia. They are more like cafes that serve wine and beer rather than hotel bars, Thanks, Mum - I don’t have a drinking problem.]
Yes, the locals are playing cards. The bartender contacted Andoni, the hospitalero of the municipal albergue next door. 
He came along and checked me in.
They get the occasional Camino Levante pilgrim here.
The albergue building is relatively recent, late 19th century, and has flags out the front. I am impressed- five stars!
I’m off to Truman’s bar to watch England versus Denmark, European Championships in Berlin . . .
and have dinner.
Now Spain is playing Italy - mucho más interés!

This day was the best - freewheeling. I love it.

Comments

  1. Did you find my name in the peregrino sign in book? A great day! BC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain