El Toboso to Villa de Don Fadrique - Keys to Camino Days


What are the keys to a ‘good day’ on the Camino? First is a wholesome dinner the night before.
I dined solo last night using that medieval key to unlock the dining room door. The dinner was delicious and it was passed through this window.
The nuns were so generous- although I could not see them to thank them. I had enough left over for breakfast and lunch today. 
Next is a relaxed  morning in a sunny landscape with cooling breezes.
Without having to worry about signs . .  

Until you find yourself somewhere else.

Oh not again, Mike! Okay let’s find a way back.
A third key is meeting people who understand the Camino. Solo pilgrims need Camino friends. I met José Luis walking into Quintanar. He took me by the church and introduced me to the priest and other locals.
Inside we met Santiago on his horse.

At morning coffee, I met his friend Monica - and I had that whole Churros to myself - Gracias Jose y Monica!

Afterwards Monica rang ahead to organise my accommodation while José Luis walked with me for several kilometres.

The afternoon walk was smooth and peaceful. I went off the ‘official’ path again, but who cares? 

I arrived mid afternoon;
and stopped by the church and the nearby bar.
Enrico helped me find and check into El Rincon del Infante Casa Rural.

I met Juan the proprietor and shortly after accepted his invitation to help paint some yellow arrows. I was honoured - I have seen lots but never been involved. 

Juan’s Casa Rural is steeped in Camino symbolism and very comfortable.
The keys to a good Camino day are elusive. People and circumstance fall into place. We have nothing to do with it. 

Today was one of those days.

Gracias to all who made it so.

Comments

  1. Hola Miguel, as San Don reminds us, 'He who sings scares away his woes'. Today sounds like a day to sing about - grande in a low key gracious way. And speaking of singing, get your guitalele out and give these words a bash:
    'I am I, Don Quixote,
    The Lord of La Mancha, ?
    My destiny calls and I go,
    And the wild winds of fortune
    Will carry me onward,
    Oh whithersoever they blow.
    Whithersoever they blow,
    Onward to glory I go!'

    I expect a rendition on WhatsApp!!
    Buen camino amigo, Neils

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain