Arevalo to Medina del Campo - No frills Camino

Will this new key open this old door? One of many questions as I head back to my accommodation. Tonight it is the Carmelite Seminario in Medina Del Campo - once used to train men for religious life.

Camino days are made of moments and periods of time - in my case, little is organised beforehand, except water and food. Most times, hospitaleras and hospitaleros do not know I am coming. For me - and for them, it is rhe Camino. No frills. It is all about the walking.

Usual early start out the city gate, past the local castle- then to the plains. Longer walk today. No open shops so you carry everything with you. No frills.

Then off the road to more comfortable tracks.
Time for breakfast - tortilla to go!
At the first town school children were preparing for an excursion - parents dropping off, and catching up with each other.
Too early for any open bars. I walked on.
Passing ruins and wondering how and why,
And crops on either side.
I stopped for lunch, but there was no bench or rock or log to sit on, so I sat on the road.
The path had been flat and fine most of the morning, but then it turned to a goat track for a while..

I could see why . . .
The afternoon wore on.
Coming into Medina, scenery changed again.
They have a castle as well!
I was greeted by a friendly Carmelite, Br Francisco, and checked in. I showered, changed, did laundry and relaxed.  A functional no-frills room with a washing line outside the window.
Later, I went down to the Plaza Major for some groceries.
People were out and about.
I stopped for a drink and gave my regards to Queen Isabella for ‘discovering America’- as per the inscription.
The key worked - I made it through the dining room door too.

I self-catered back at the Seminario as all the restaurants closed earlier today.

It had been a no-frills Camino day - satisfying to arrive, ask myself questions and reflect on what happened. I slept soundly.













Comments

  1. Well done, Miguel. We had a feast in the central square of Medina Del Campo, and next morning the largest tostadas I'd ever eaten. Happy memories. Buen Camino, amigo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Too early (in the morning) for an open bar” is not something you would normally say in Australia is it Mike.
    I do hope you find some Camino family soon. C&S

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain