La Roda to San Clemente - Surer, safer and cooler


I forsook my quest for adventure (almost) and took a surer and safer path today. The weather was kinder. The temperature was a little lower and I had a cool easterly tailwind pushing me along.
I made my getaway this morning, not a bull in sight. La Rhoda is a stylish country city.

Here is where the parade went last night, and I was helped by a policeman to find accommodation.
Strange how early morning can mask the party atmosphere of the night before. I passed business and industry sites on the way out, including this paint factory. I don’t normally take these types of photos, but the place looked really smick.
The familiar open plains were just around the corner.

Farmers were out.
Minaya came into view around lunchtime.

No sorry - it’s a fake. The real Minaya looks like this. For a while, I thought this town had no people or shops, and I needed to get water and groceries.

I searched and eventually found lunch and water to go. Not ideal but it did the job.

On the way out of town, a local on his way to San Clermont pulled over and offered me a ride. ‘No thanks, I am on the Camino Levante and I like to walk’ Do I ? Really? Oh the temptation- ‘get behind thee Uber driver’
So instead of 10-15 mins in a comfortable car, I had this . . . 

But the views were nice,

and I was encouraged by Don and Sancho. 
I needed to be - I had this all the way. At least it was straight and clear.
At one point, a cyclist pulled over and pointed that I should be on a path ‘over there past the grapevines’.

As I have always had complete respect for cyclists, I followed his instructions only to find there was no path there at all - so I returned to the road.

San Clemente at last - and shortly after . . .
And they give discounts for shuffling pilgrims like me.

I am in! Pleased as always to arrive safe.

It was better today, not quite as far and the weather was more conducive for walking - and the forecast is promising. 

Happy days, ten days out of Valencia - maybe only around 30 more to Santiago. Not including stops along the way - and I have the time
Thanks  for supporting me everyone! 🙏



Comments

  1. You are missing people I’ll bet, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sometimes- thanks Chris, there will be company down the way. In the meantime I am finding I am with the locals a lot more- and that’s good, I like it- Having albergues to myself is a luxury. I don’t think even Hemingway got keys to a bull ring 😂- although did feel like a bit ‘Death [that] Afternoon’

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mike!! Loved all your news!! You’re brave to walk on your own! Looking forward to the next blog. Great photos! Stay safe Mike x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah San Clemente, another nice town. Glad the weather eased a little. And very soon you will tilt at windmills. You are really into these La Mancha flatlands - they are tough and there is grace. Says San Don, 'Hunger is the best sauce in the world.' Buen Camino amigo, Neils

    ReplyDelete
  5. reading with much interest my musical friend. looks like you really are living the one-day-at-a-time mantra. travel well, mike. gretaXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pics. Tim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain