Chinchilla to Albacete - Friendly helpful people


Antonio was herding his sheep when we met. A few kms back I realised I had missed a turn and needed to go cross country to get back on track.
He was genuinely interested and encouraging about my walk. He wished me a Buen Camino. If I had not got lost we would not have met. Friendly exchanges through chance.

Last night after dinner, as I walked across the town square, I felt as though I had upset the bar owner. He prepared me a delicious meal but never once cracked it for a smile.

Fair enough I thought - as I was the only person eating as everyone else was leaving.

This morning I returned to the bar and to my surprise he seemed pleased to see me. He wished me a Buen Camino as well.

Today’s walk started quietly, but not quietly enough. I saw lots of wrabbits but they disappeared into their burrows - as I needed to be ‘vewy vewy quiet’.

The traffic built over the hours. Farm machinery drivers and motorists passed me sometimes at close range and generally waved back. 

One snake was not so fortunate. 
I reached the outskirts of Albacete after getting Antonio’s advice, to find ‘the words of the prophets written on the . . walls’

Something about all politicians and bankers should go to prison. Hmmm? As it happened, not long after, I was stopped by the police.

They noticed me spinning my phone around and asked if I needed help. The three officers were keen to let me know this area is where ‘bad people live’ and I should keep heading towards the city centre. They were friendly and helpful too. 

The area did look a little down at heal, I admit. I was soon in the inner city. A young man who had walked the Camino introduced himself and offered to help me. 
I made for the Townhall where the receptionist called a local hostel for me.
When I got there, I found that it was a hostel for homeless people (well I qualify!). Alas, it was full! My Plan B was to try my luck at the Hostal Atienzar.
Success! A shorter walking day.  I met some friendly helpful people. Life in the slow lane has benefits, even when I mess around and get lost.

Comments

  1. That place looks remarkably like where I stayed. Glad you got found as well as lost. Watch the criss crossing of the Sureste after Minaya, I ended up doing an extra 20kms because I didn't watch it!! And a final word from the Don: 'El que lee mucho y anda mucho, ve mucho y sabe mucho.' Buen Camino amigo. Neils

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all the helpful police! And how great to get photos of all the people you’re meeting along the way x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain