Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!



I arrived in Santiago de Compostela early this afternoon, five weeks after leaving Bayonne.. Flooded pathways, covered with mud, blustery wind, and constant rain made this final stage a fitting conclusion to my Camino del Norte. It’s been tough at times- and today was certainly top three.



Santiago seemed a long way away this morning. While it wasn’t a long stage, it was cold dark and wet, very wet. Head light on again!


To complicate things, I had rough night with a tummy bug that’s been doing the rounds - plus last night’s ‘Ubereats delivery’ from a nearby bar was horrible- what I did manage to eat, came back in the early hours- which was a relief. Anyway I felt a little tired and weak when I shuffled off into the gloom around 7.30am. 


At the breakfast stop at O’ Pedrouzo, I had orange juice, camomile tea and a nurofen - what a combination - anyway it worked and my pace and energy began to come back.  
Eric had a similar night (and breakfast) and we.walked the rest of the Way together. Having each other’s suffering company was a welcome mutual support and it did have its lighter moments. The weather was so atrocious at times- all we could do is sing ‘Volare’ .
 


I stopped by a bar (closed today) at which  I had a delicious birthday breakfast over ten years ago. A lovely memory. 


With 10kms to go, the way became more populated as more crazy pilgrims splashed out of their albergues onto the path,


We needed sugar and water and stopped at a bar to have coke and a bit of Santiago tart. It was good!



I tried to take more shots but my phone kept spraying water at me

And then Santiago appeared (well sort of)

And it was into city streets.

It was fascinating meeting pilgrims from different routes to the Norte~ and saying variants on ‘well done’ to one another.
As we entered the old city, feelings of joy, relief and accomplishment flowed in no particular order.


You can see by the crowd- it wasn’t exactly a beach day.  So we headed straight to the Pilgrims Office to get certified with Compostelas.

I am staying at the Seminario Mayor right next to the cathedral. I have my own room and ensuite for the first time in weeks - heaven!


After getting settled I visited the cathedral. I lit candles for loved ones 

And immersed myself in the symbolism and drama of this sacred place

I plan on going to midday mass tomorrow and hope they swing this big incense burner.

On the way back from drinks this evening I thought I was seeing a ghostly pilgrim captured by the shadows around the cathedral.

Perhaps I was? 

Caminos are many things to many people. Over coming days and decades I’ll reflect on this one, and smile, and shake my head, and give thanks.
Thanks everyone for following me 🙏

Btw - my ukulele got a great workout and was always fun to have around.


Buen Camino everybody!





Comments

  1. Congratulations Mike! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mammoth achievement Dad! So proud of you!! So many moments you could’ve thrown in the (probably sopping wet) towel but you persevered, and here you are! Congrats also on the blog, it’s been a treat to read every day 🩷

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Mike. What an achievement. Enjoy your time of reflection and rest 🙏🤗👏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Dad!! What an epic accomplishment that you’ll cherish and reflect on for the rest of your life! 👏🏻🎉 You’re a true inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Mike. Yes an inspiration to us all. Great achievement. Enjoy the triumph. Leonie and Ian. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess this stage (night and day) just about sums it up, Mike. What an amazing challenge it's been and journey it's been, and you've hung in all the way. Mate you're a champion! I'm inspired by your persistence and good humour, which no doubt encouraged others to keep going too. I hope you can savour all the delights of Santiago and get some much needed rest. Yeehaaa!! Neils

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s been a pleasure reading your story from the comfort of home. What a challenging journey. Well done. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic effort Mike, loved reading the blog big hugs Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations and well done Mike. I’ve enjoyed your blog and look forward to seeing you soon !Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous. So enjoyed walking with you in spirit Mike. Congratulations. Kerry V

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain