Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain


I wasn’t all that keen to step out this morning- the ocean looked angry and squalling showers were blowing through. But I went anyway and got washed by the rain - and eventually found a dry place to stay. 

I almost turned around after the first few minutes- it was cold, wet and windy and my phone was dripping and hard to use. I had to rely on yellow arrows (old school) to get out of town.

Up and into the forest rain, 

And evidence of a stormy night - eucalyptus  remnants everywhere  (could be Australia)

Hello I’m Mr Ed! - it was the only conversation I had all morning. 

I thought the weather was clearing - but no . . . 
I needed to find shelter- marginal at best.

After four hours or so, I found an open bar and had some lunch. 

As I was getting settled and squeezing out wet socks, I heard a voice behind me ‘Mike?’. It was Roger from Switzerland- last seen in Bilbao weeks ago. We booked and walked together in the sunshine (surprise!) to the Buen Camino Albergue in San Esteban.

Not as long as other days but taxing all the same-  happy to arrive somewhere warm, dry and welcoming. 

The hospitalero poured us a gratis beer on arrival - he’s hiding behind the taps!

It’s raining again and more is forecast over coming days.

I have got news for Professor Higgins, the rain in Spain ‘falls everywhere’

Let’s see what tomorrow brings.. 



Everyone enjoyed the evening- locals and we peregrinos got together after dinner and sang. I played the hospitalero’s guitar . Top night 🎸





Comments

  1. We wish you some sunny weather Mike! Sue and Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. 🙏 thanks - I hope to walk between downpours and see how far I get
    M🎸

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola amigo, this rain must be stretching the friendship!! On ya for hanging in. Glad Mr Ed was up for a chat, Roger too. Bless that hospitalero. Hoping for fine days and sunshine for you but hey, this is Asturias and you're heading for Galicia!!??*&%#@## Buen Camino, Neils

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to read this Mike! We had a similar experience with the rain... happy to be somewhere warm and dry too. Cheers from Oviedo! Rene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouragement everyone (on and off line) - 🙏😉
    Mike

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!