Villaviciosa to Gijon - Close encounter of the fourth kind


The  Norte is full of surprises.  I made it to the beach at Gijon  and then I checked into an ‘AI controlled albergue’.  Yes that’s right - not a hospitalero/a in sight - just me,  my phone and a robot God knows where.

I checked in while I was at the second floor 
‘reception’. Every 30 seconds the light went out - which just added to the serenity - and then I got the access code via email- I even had to stamp my credencial myself 🙄. Hey but what about this view!

Lots of ascents and descents today.
And tranquil scenes.

And points of decision.

I chose to continue on the Norte rather than divert to Oviedo and start the Camino Primitivo. Glad I did - as far as I know they don’t have that much AI on the Primitivo.

Or as many apples. I tried one (‘um it had fallen right at my feet senor’). It was crisp but a little tart - probably terrific for cider though.

A snake even crossed my path.I think it was injured - maybe run over by a cyclist- felt sorry for the snake - not the cyclist (grrrr). Apologies but bikes  are very dangerous for walking pilgrims- you don’t hear them coming especially when they’re racing downhill.

Not the salubrious luncheon I had imagined- but it worked a treat.

The outskirts of Gijon were intriguing- it was like walking into Melbourne through Toorak or Sydney via Vaucluse- the Camino  signage was almost absent although discretely obvious to those in the know - even the guard  dogs barked with an articulated Spanish growl.
Nevermind- I made it to town via the river and walked among some locals.

Along the promenade.

Then I had  my close encounter of the fourth kind at the Boogaloo Hostel (should have picked it by the name 🙄)
I hope my door code works when I try to get back in 🤔 
Thankfully  it did and I had a fun night sharing an assortment of food with a couple of fguests who had successfully crossed the digital drawbridge 😂





Comments

  1. Glad you made it through the AI maze. You're right, not much AI on the Primitivo and a lot of very steep hills. Mind you, it sounds like you've had your share of them on the Norte. No churros yet?? BC Neils

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dad, I’m very impressed with your self-assisted check in! Happy you’re getting some sunshine again ☀️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Churros - what an excellent suggestion- might have some today M🎸

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tess, very undad-like BUT I DID IT 😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain