Llannes to Ribadesella - Reason to Walk


Everyone has a reason for walking the Camino, although for some it’s hard to explain. But not these women-Corrine and Carola are sisters from Belgium. I met them a few days ago and our paths have been crossing. 
Corrine recently lost a son unexpectedly . While he wasn’t on the Camino at the time , he had loved his walk to Guemes (a town on the Norte about four days back) and her son had planned to walk to Santiago and the ocean on his next stage. Corrine and Carola are being carried by his spirit- they started from Guemes and will  carry  his ashes to the ocean over coming weeks. Reason to walk 

Some days just unfold- that’s it. You have no control really. Normal morning routine - finding an open bar for breakfast- then maybe the path goes by the ocean.

Random - that’s Rene. Then the ocean came back.

Being Sunday - ‘I stopped into a church I passed along the Way! I was Asturias Dreaming - but not all the leaves are brown - yet!
And then I took my direction from rocks on the sand.

Made my way to a neighbouring church stranded by the tide 
and came across a derelict monastery which would have been idyllic in its location in the Middle Ages- river, ocean and pasture - what happened? 

Just five minutes walk to the beach 

The afternoon path headed inland to the solace of a quiet countryside.

with puddles but no rain thankfully - I learnt - I can jump puddles.

Reaching Ribadesella, I found the hostel - comfortable and molded into the hillside of the old town.

Tonight I am rendezvousing for dinner with friends who are heading off the Camino tomorrow 🥲. 

Everyone has a reason, a time and a season. 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Santa Irene to Santiago - Made it!

Salinas to San Esteban - Washed by the rain